Weather Forecast


Meteorological indicators

Fire Indicator

Fog Indicator


The Visitable Monasteries of Voio


The Visitable Monasteries of Voio 

The Monastery of Agia Triada of Voio

At the foot of Zoupaniotikos Ailias, in the area of Vythos known as Alonia, we find the Monastery of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) or Aitriaditsa, as locals call it. It was built in its present location in 1792, quite close to the older Monastery of Taxiarches, Paliomonastiro, which was moved here from Fteri. Its literally hidden in lush forests of beech and chestnut, at an altitude of 1,030 meters.

The main temple is the work of master artisan Georgios Koustas from Pentalofos. All walls are covered with beautiful murals which were painted by artist Mihail in 1802, under the abbacy of Neofytos. It was adorned with stone reliefs by Milios Zoupaniotis. Inside the temple above the narthex, the chapel of Saint Modestus is also incorporated.

Legend has it that prior Neofytos saw a peculiar vision, where someone indicated that he build a monastery in the specific spot. The following night the vision was repeated. The third time, the same person appeared and strictly advised that the project should begin immediately. In the next morning a local shepherd appeared, claiming to have been seeing a strange glow emanating from a tree. In a tree hollow an icon of the Holy Trinity was found.

The temple was built with refined stone and is today a fine example of local architecture. It is famous for its impressive main temple of Athonic type. It is of Byzantine rhythm with three cupolas and a gilded wood-carven chancel screen. The entire construction that supports it is quite imposing, resembling a fortress. The monastery is capable of accommodating 100 visitors and the day of its celebration is an important event for the entire area of Voio.

Its fame and fortune was great and its name well known across Western Macedonia, Epirus and Thessaly. Its contribution to the struggle for independence as well as to education is significant. There used to be 50 cells and secret lessons were offered during Ottoman rule. Today, the monastery is run by priest Serapheim from Anthousa, who is distinguished for his assiduity and devotion.

The Monastery of Agios Athanasios Zikovistis

It is one of Western Macedonia’s oldest monasteries. It is built at an altitude of 1,000 meters between Damaskinia and Agios Ilias. Its name is derived from Kastanohori Spilios, which used to be called Zikovista.

The temple is single-spaced and there is one cupola supported by 4 big arches. It was founded in 1629 and renovated in 1747, while its murals were painted in 1785 by Mihail Mihail from Hiona and Dimitrios Mpormpoutziotis from Eptahori. The project was founded by prior Ananias and priest Iakovos. In 1979 the monastery was gentrified and its main temple was declared a Historical Listed Monument. The view that is offered from its parvis to the valley of Aliakmonas is nothing short of spectacular.

The monastery’s contribution to the struggle during Turkish rule is significant. A central Greek school used to operate here and the corps of chieftain Kapetan Litsas assembled here before starting the fight against the enemy that had previously set the monastery’s cells on fire.

The Monastery of Agios Georgios Eptahoriou 

On the north slope of Taliaro and 4 km from Eptahori, on the new road that connects it with Dotsiko, we find the monastery of Agios Georgios, almost 400 years old. The temple is three-aisled of Athonic type. Its entire interior is covered in murals of exquisite post-Byzantine art. They are most probably the work of artisans from Eptahori or Linotopi. The temple is surrounded by a series of auxiliary buildings.

Tradition has it that a priest that had lost his wife and children and had undergone great ordeals decided to devote his life to God and offer his entire fortune for the construction of the monastery. He became a monk and the monastery’s first prior. 

Right above we find the small cemetery temple of Eisodia tis Theotokou, also covered with beautiful murals dating back to the 17th century. The way in which its stone roof was constructed is particularly impressive.


logo-icon xrimatodotisi periferia unikepe_logooikologiki